MPs recently gave the thumbs-up to the first stage of the legislation triggering Article 50. The Government has finally published a White Paper, as #WhatsThePlan has been calling for.
However, it is vital that we keep up the pressure. The White Paper is a thin document that offers little confidence of avoiding a destructive Brexit. In the light of this, it is all the more important that MPs amend the bill to ensure Parliament is given proper scrutiny over whatever Brexit deal Theresa May brings back from her talks with Brussels.
MPs must be given the power to send the Government back to the negotiating table if they do not think that deal is good enough for the country. This means our Parliament should receive the deal before the European Parliament.
Debates on amendments take place almost immediately, so time is of the essence. Write to your MP now urging them to support these vital principles. Parliamentary sovereignty was very high among the reasons people voted for Brexit. There can surely be no more important time than this for it to be exercised.
Our 10 Questions:
- Will we stay in the single market?
- Will we continue to pay into the EU budget and follow its rules?
- Will we stay in customs union?
- How will EU migration be controlled?
- When can the first new Free Trade Agreements be expected?
- Will there be a transitional period after we quit the EU?
- Will Scotland be given a reason to avoid leaving the UK?
- Will there be controls at the Irish border?
- How do we ensure we can fight cross-border problems such as terrorism, crime and global warming?
- How do we guarantee the NHS, universities, farmers and industry get the talent they need?
What are your views? Share them here.
Support the Campaign
Step 1 – Sign
Step 3 – Update Profile
Step 4 – 10 Questions